Thursday, January 26, 2017

Love Verses in the Bible - Genesis


Love is the foremost trait in all of Scripture.
Because of Love, God sent His Son Jesus Christ to redeem us from the penalty of our sin through His sacrifice and victory at the cross.  Jesus Christ identified the most important commandments in all of Scripture to be: Love God, Love your neighbor.  Just before His crucifixion, Jesus said: "A new command I give you: Love one another.  As I have loved you, so you must love one another."  Without God, this is simply impossible because "God is Love."

As C.S. Lewis wrote, "In God, there is no hunger that needs to be filled, only plenteousness that desires to give."

Love
  • Genesis 20:13
    • "And when God had me wander from my father's household, I said to her, 'This is how you can show your love to me: Everywhere you go, say of me, `He is my brother.`'"
  • Genesis 22:2
    • "Then God said, 'Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah.  Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about.'"
  • Genesis 29:18
    • "Jacob was in love with Rachel and said, 'I'll work for you seven years in return for your younger daughter Rachel.'"
  • Genesis 29:20
    • "So Jacob served seven years to get Rachel, but they seemed like only a few days to him because of his love for her."
  • Genesis 29:32
    • "Leah became pregnant and gave birth to a son.  She named him Reuben, for she said, 'It is because the Lord has seen my misery.  Surely my husband will love me now.'"

Loved
  • Genesis 24:67
    • "Isaac brought her into the tent of his mother Sarah, and he married Rebekah.  So she became his wife, and he loved her; and Isaac was comforted after his mother's death."
  • Genesis 25:28
    • "Isaac, who had a taste for wild game, loved Esau, but Rebekah loved Jacob."
  • Genesis 29:30
    • "Jacob lay with Rachel also, and he loved Rachel more than Leah.  And he worked for Laban another seven years."
  • Genesis 29:31
    • "When the Lord saw that Leah was not loved, he opened her womb, but Rachel was barren"
  • Genesis 29:33
    • "She conceived again, and when she gave birth to a son she said, 'Because the Lord heard that I am not loved, he gave me this one too.' So she named him Simeon."
  • Genesis 34:3
    • "His heart was drawn to Dinah daughter of Jacob, and he loved the girl and spoke tenderly to her.  And Shechem said to his father Hamor, 'Get me this girl as my wife.'"
  • Genesis 37:3
    • "Now Israel loved Joseph more than any of his other sons, because he had been born to him in his old age; and he made a richly ornamented robe for him."
  • Genesis 37:4
    • "When his brothers saw that their father loved him more than any of them, they hated him and could not speak a kind word to him."
Lovely
  • Genesis 29:17
    • "Leah had weak eyes, but Rachel was lovely in form, and beautiful."
Loves
  • Genesis 44:20
    • "And we answered, 'We have an aged father, and there is a young son born to him in his old age.  His brother is dead, and he is the only one of his mother's sons left, and his father loves him."

No comments:

Post a Comment